1929 is long past, but what still remains is the rich history and new beginnings that the Port Colborne Country Club is built upon. Numerous changes and alterations have occurred throughout the years at Port Colborne Country Club, however the original six of the first nine holes dated back from the 1930’s are still played today. Numbers and yardage may change but not the history that this club was built upon.
The original holes still being played include the par 4 second, which served as the sixth hole averaging 300 yards, the par 4 ninth which was the original third hole measuring 333 yards. The par 4 seventh which used to be the starting hole until 1965, followed by the par 4 eighth hole which served as the second hole in earlier years. The par 5 third which was formally the seventh hole in earlier years was known as one of the toughest holes sue to its length and sloping green surrounded by bunkers. We take pride of our history at Port Colborne Country Club.
Dated back to the early years of 1929, on August 15th Port Colborne Country Club held its first official meeting regarding this up and coming club. Within a two week period the 107 acre Ezra Neff farm on Morgans Point Road was purchased for $8,500. It was later agreed that an added 16 acres would be purchased to incorporate enough land for an 18 hole golf course. Although purchasing the land for the club was only just the beginning.
A provisional Board of Directors was created which included H.W. Walter, H.H. Knoll, Major Wyman, L.M. MacDonald, E.P. Murphy, D.J. Higgon, C.A. Bennet, W.J. Freeman, and H.E. Hazelwood. The decision was made by the board to set club memberships which had dues set at $35 for the men and $20 for the women. The Board of Directors also hired the golf course architect firm Cummings and Miller to build the designed layout of the golf course.
By August 4th 1930 the first four holes were ready for the members to play. This meant that the Port Colborne Country Club was officially open for business. Green fees were set at $1.50 or $1.00 if you were playing with a member. These rates continued on until 1949. By 1931 an additional five holes was constructed, hence completing the first nine holes at the Port Colborne Country Club. Port remained nine holes over the next 23 years.
In 1954 Port decided to proceed with their vision and construct an additional five holes to their course of nine. Within a short two years four more holes were added completing another important date in the history of Port Colborne Country Club, because they were now an 18 hole facility.
Various changes have been made to the course since 1956 when the course became a completed 18 holes. In 1963 the course was altered, then in 1965 the course underwent a complete revamp. One game changer was when they cut through bushes in order to make the par 5 sixteenth dogleg averaging over 550 yards. Many changes such as enlarging the greens, ponds and bunkers have been made. Mounds were placed along the fairways and the club constructed new tees.
Later in 1999, the club decided to completely redesign the thirteenth green increasing the square footage from 1,200 to 5,500. The club revamped their entire watering system numerous times over as the years past to stay updated, since their first sprinkling system was installed in 1952. By 1991 the club, along with all of the members approved, and installed a completely automated $450,000 watering system, bringing the course great success.
Many changes were made over the years updating and enhancing the small comfy clubhouse. Dated back to the early days of the Port Colborne Country Club there was a pot-bellied stove to keep the warmth inside the clubhouse during the cooler months of the year. A small snack bar and lounge existed, but no alcoholic beverages were served as the Wainfleet Township was dry during the early years of the club.
In 1957, it was decided that the clubhouse and locker room facilities would be improved and enlarged for the comfort of the members. Later in the 1990’s the locker rooms underwent further renovations and improvements.
On a late September’s night in 1964, disaster struck. The club storage facilities and pro shop were engulfed in flames, and burnt to the ground. Although they were attached to the clubhouse, no damage was done to the clubhouse. The following year the pro shop and club storage facility was erected and operational.
Many changes have come over the years, and many more are on the way, all for the better of our members and guests who have been so loyal to the Port Colborne Country Club throughout its entire existence.